Friday, April 24, 2009

Crazy Connections

My oldest son will be 5 next week. Last week we were driving down the road and we drove past a neighborhood waterpark and of course he asked if we could go. I told him no, that it was still far too cold to go to waterpark. He got quiet for a few minutes and then responded, "Mom, do you know I have God in my heart?" I was shocked... I said "What do you mean?" He said, Well when I was at the water park I went all the way under the water." And so I am thinking where is he going with this??? Next he says, "But really mom! He thumps in there, so next time you drink that coke in church...I think I'll need some." Then it all comes clear to me and I am cracking up! So I said to him, "I think you are going to need to be little order before you are able to have some of that 'coke in church".
You see we have been in a church plant until this last year and all of our baptisms happened in backyard pools or waterparks. Then when we switched churches last summer we had a baptism service at the waterpark. Each time we talk about what that means. Then, at Christmas Eve service my oldest sat in "big church" with me and we took the Lord's Supper. (which he couldn't have and he was NOT happy about that) SO after church he had asked a lot of questions and I had answered them as best I could. So now he has put it all together. He understands the steps he has to take but doesn't quite get why we do them. I think that next time I take the Lord's Supper it will be hard to not giggle though as I drink my "coke".

I am thankful...
I am thankful that my oldest is learning and putting things together. After celebrating Easter all day we climbed onto one of the boys beds and began to pray. My youngest thanked God for Easter and the eggs and the bunny. My oldest's prayer was so simple. "Thank you God for my mommy, daddy, and brother. And thank you that Jesus came and died and went to live with the devil and then came back three days later." I am not sure where the went to live with the devil for three days part came from (we still have a few things to work out...) but he IS getting it! For Him church is becoming more than just a place to see his friends and he is asking us the questions he needs to so he can get it all together. Being a mom is so great! Just when I think Go has made a mistake trusting these sweet little boys in my care of me to mess up-we have these kind of conversations! I am SO thankful for His reassurance!

No comments: