Sunday, April 5, 2009

TLA

I just returned from a three day trip to Houston. I was there for the Texas Library Conference. I am always amazed to talk to librarians from across the state. I feel refreshed and ready to go!!!
First, I want to post the Texas 2x2 list. These are books that are chosen by a panel of librarians that are the best books published from 2008 for 2 year old through second graders. For those of you who have children in this age group these are some great books to check out!
A Visitor For Bear by Bonny Becker, The Littlest Llama by Jane Browning Buxton, Quinito, Day and Night, Quinito, Dia y Noche by Ina Cumpiano, On the Farm by David Elliott, Ten Little FINGERS and Ten Little TOES by Mem Fox, How to Heal a Broken Wing by Bob Graham, Chicken Said, “Cluck!” by Judyann Ackerman Grant, What’s Up Duck? A Book of Opposites by Tad Hills, Uh-oh! by Rachel Isadora, Sort it Out! by Barbara Mariconda, Let’s Eat! ! A comer! by Pat Mora, Baseball Hour by Carol Nevius, Jack Wants a Snack by Pat Schories, No Babysitters Allowed by Amber Stewart, Roadwork by Sally Sutton, What Can You Do With a Rebozo? by Carmen Tafolla, Grumpy Cat by Britta Teckentrup, The Doghouse by Jan Thomas, Duck Soup by Jackie Urbanovic, and 10 Things I Can Do to Help My World by Melanie Walsh.
You can go to this website http://www.txla.org/groups/crt/2x2intro.htm for more information or activities to do with your child. There are some really great books on the list this year!
Finally, while at TLA I got to meet several authors which is always fun. My favorite quote of the week came form one of the authors' presentations. Jeanne DuPrau, the author of City of Ember, said something that really sums up many of the children's authors. I am not going to put it into quotes because I was writing while she talk and I don't want to miss quote! She said something like:
I don't write books for children because I like children, although I do like some children just like I like some adults, I write because I love to write.
To me this was so funny because there are many children's authors who love to write books for this age but are not fond of children, don't know how to speak to them, or are just flat out terrified at the idea of having to entertain a group of children.... Let this be a warning to you....if ever you take your child to meet an author be ready for anything! Of course there are MANY children's authors who write because they LOVE children and they are fabulous with them. :) I personally, loved Jeanne Duprau's Ember's series and thought she really was a good speaker. I was thankful for her honesty and how genuine she really was.

1 comment: